Sunday, May 30, 2021

Song #14 Life Upon the Skyways


 

LIFE UPON THE SKYWAYS

 

I’m sitting in a journey from armchair to armchair

And as I gaze across the street I feel I’ve got something to say

I’d like to float upon the skyways

To a land across the Dreamtime

To another land of desert that’s the home of the Jew

Who find it hard to smile as I do here today

With each day that life that grows longer

Who’s lost along the way?

 

Some have chosen to stay home; others wandered far

In these past few months I’ve seen them go

And I wonder how they are

It makes life upon the home front just a little bit harder

I walk the streets for the old times

But there’s none to be found

Like the seas around a mountain, it’s time against my spirit

Must one accept with resignation

That the gloom’s too tough

                                   Too tough to beat

 

I was feeling outnumbered so I got numbered out

The room was full of these strange lonely faces and mine

The earth goes on circling

Through the good times and bad times

It happened before and it will do again

 

These words that I’ve had to say raise up a smile

For the answer is simple – win, lose, or draw

The joy is in the telling; it’s in the trudging of highways

There are choices before you

It’s life upon the skyways

The answer is simple – not black, not white, but grey

The answer is simple – it’s up this way and grey

It’s up this way today

Come on this way today

Come on this way, up this way

And pray

 

1978

COMMENTARY 

Around the time that I wrote this song there was an American singer called Captain Beefheart. He and his Magic Band released a song called Moonbeams and Blue Jeans that I really liked and I intentionally decided to use the song’s melody for these lyrics. This was the one and only time I did this but essentially I plagiarised the Captain Beefheart song. I never recorded it and I didn’t really ever try and pass it off as mine. I still know how to play it and like the way it sounds 😊 Obviously I was still pining for Israel…..

No comments:

Blackbird

  Blackbird Holden St Theatres Wed 4 April 2024 A conversation with someone who sexually abused you when you were 12 years old is never ...