Saturday, December 26, 2009
• we are now answer rich and question poor
• socialisation has emerged as the primary reason fro using the Net, not information transmission
• violent games DO cause violent behaviour, but can develop 'attentional capacity’
Mark Drechsler (Netspot)
• Moodle partners contribute to the funding of Moodle
• BOOK Module allows printing of blocks of content
• In contrast to Communities, Networks more objectified; less about the persona; community more about ‘we’n, networks about ‘me’
• we need to create content or we'll miss out; we communicate because of content
Julian Ridden (Moodle)
• if there is no personal connection for student they will fail
• consider removing institution branding to maake students feel like its theirs!!
Clint Smith - How to write an Innovations Application
1. sus out the funding body (what do they want out of it?)
2008-11: emphasis on increasing capacity to deliver, and delivering more courses
2. pick the right track (business partnerships, or empowering learners; about 50% funding in each)
business partnerships: you're delivering to employees; should build on an existing relationhip; often elearning 1.0 (ie not facilitated)
empowering learners: ie enrolled students; about embedding elearning in an RTO; extending market reach; usually facilitated learning ie not self-standing; should have a target group
• show you've done the r and d; that you’re ready to go, and have got the skills and a plan
• main outcome is a successful elearning delivery solution
• count e-posteriors (ie virtual bums on seats)
• state where this is leading
Tip 5 - Innovations : explain the change
could be business development OR delivery approaches (emphasis is more on business development)
Survey on why people did previous projects revealed that 57% were about developing content
Tip 6 Design - Provide an e-solution
(refer to Designing eLearning site) http://designing.flexiblelearning.net.au/
Types of Corporate learning
• informal learning
(conclusion - it will be a range of solutions with a variety of tools ie not a single solution)
most common form = blended and support (47%)
facilitated online quite rare (13%)
why add facilitation to elearning offerings?
• gp learning
• more motivating
Cathy Moore Workshop
don't state the obvious; get them to DO things
Check readability Indices in spellcheckers
aim for a readability index of around 65
use more verbs, shorter sentences, more people; use active rather than the passive voice
“happiness is boring?” - add people to the scenario and make them suffer!
Ideally use real-world stories
Brad Beach : Tips for Online Facilitation
• is the blended learning model the best model? Or just an excuse to just not do wholly online?
• Who has ever been through a course and neither the teacher nor students said a word?????? So - respond!
• community or network? Me or we? Me more related to community
• when trying to work out what is good online practice Brad likes to think back to f2f situations as a reference point
Creating an engaging Discussion Topic
• begin with statement or summary
• ask a single question
• discussion topics in asynch forums more suited to debate rather than content or 'concept clarification' ; ie convergent or divergent thinking; convergent better in real time
• even if it is your preferred learning style you should be challenged to try some other method
• a teacher would not allow someone to sit f2f silent for extended periods, so don't online either
Central Institute of Tech (Jeremy Sorensen and ???)
See-Fit Project (not content creation)
• use technology to support trainees (metro and rural)
• used POV, real time OL vid assessment
• vid evidence can be transferred to other contexts (email, YouTube, DVD, etc) and can be used for auditors
• video exemplar - great idea; shows students exactly what is needed for assessment
(YouTube owns the copyright of uploaded content.)
Cyber Assessment (SW Regional TAFE)
Online workplace delivery and assessment; used Moodle, Elluminate and POV glasses, and SMS (no content creation as main focus, but Moodle courses were created in)
Seems like a project where people learnt to teach online/study online, but I wonder how many teachers were involved?
SMS communication draws an immediate response from students! (unlike other channels)
Digital Dogging and Rigging (Sandra Downes) ) Great Southern TAFE
Used the Learning Table (approach) for RFID tags to trigger media
(seems to be content creation; albeit sexy content creation using cutting edge technology)
Sewing program also uses RFID tags for triggering videos
e-Compliance (Abby Chasen; from HBF)
• Gen Y unhappy with current training delivery; dispersed workforce
• not sure, but it's content creation!! boring content was put online (but she says it's interactive...)
Andrew Douch - ICT Innovations at Secondary College in Victoria
• has won MS Innovative Teacher of the Year Award
• 2 changes in the world and they are converging
• to date, ed has emphasised the left brain (logical, sequential � Maths, Physics, English etc) > left brained careers (Doctor, lawyer etc) ie NOT actor, artist, musician etc
• rise of machinery (took over the role of human strength) and promoted knowledge economy
• here's the Gen Y 'need to be connected story again – is it true, or just a stereotypical view?
• uses MSN with his kids after hours
• use ipadio for phone blogging
• took 3 weeks for his biology podcast to reach #1 on iTunes! With no IT training or tech skills
• 1 minute of Andrew's time = hours for students ie many students can listen to podcast over and over
• simple audio (mp3 tool)
• we need to change assessment methods
• @andrewdouch (Twitter)
Participatory Change - Uni of Ballarat
• using a mentor model - people get 1.5 days/week to improve skills
• but has also realised that PD workshops don't go anywhere (creates a sense of dependence)
• the trick is to get people to realise that they have a role in what elearning looks like in the future!!!!!; referred to the concept of 'consciousization'
Wolf Cocklin - How the ABC Uses Twitter
• Twitter - a combination of stalking, ADHD, and narcissism
• ABC uses Twitter for reporting, monitoring, broadcasting, engaging
Dear Friend, I’ve been thinking a lot about the conversation we had about the Corona virus when we last spoke. You mentioned a letter th...
Myall Creek Memorial I started to tear up from about 20 kilometres out. I started looking at the landscape as it may have been in 183...
America already has Trump. Australia has Scott the evangelist Morrison, and Britain has just chosen Boris Johnson as their PM. Scott ...
COVID 19 they’re calling it – 19 for the year it first raised its ugly head. But this virus has all but destroyed 2020 – the firs...