Monday, February 21, 2011

The Audreys at the Adelaide Fringe (13/2/11)

The Audreys – Sometimes the Stars @ Garden of Unearthly Delights - Spiegeltent

Sometimes the Stars is the title of their most recent CD, and features the two original Audreys, Taasha Coates and Tristan Goodall. Tristan spent most of the set on guitars playing delicious catchy licks while Taasha embellished the songs with a golden, pure voice. She also occasionally added a continental feel with the melodica (related to the accordion). They’ve won ARIA awards in the blues and roots categories, but for me (and I know what these labels mean can change over time) their lovely songs range freely over folk, pop, country, rock and jazz, with a strong emphasis on melody. About 45 minutes in I started to let the powerful emotional content of these songs wash over me and it felt good. Taasha sings from the soul, the songs are mostly gems, and there is a delightful chemistry between the two. Just wonderful.

1 comment:

deliab said...

Michael, This sounds wonderful. Though I know little about contemporary music, on a number of occasions when I've heard a song that takes my fancy, I've been told: 'Oh, that's The Audreys' and I've thought I'd like to hear more of them. I think they've sung the (haunting, captivating) title song for a number of television programs.

Sounds of the Hazara - Adelaide Fringe Music Review

[ MUSIC/ World Music   ~  SA ~ ADELAIDE FRINGE PREMIERE ] Nexus Arts Venue,  Sat 25 Feb, 2024. The Hazara are one of the many ethnic groups ...