Monday, September 27, 2021

Song #51 Late on a Winter's Night

 


LATE ON A WINTER’S NIGHT

 

It’s late on a winter’s night

I’m playin’ alone at home

I wonder if I’ll ever play this song for you

I don’t know what it is that brought you into mind

I only know if you were here it’d be oh so fine

My thoughts again drift back

To that night long ago

I know we both lie awake at night

And wonder if we’ll know

 

Just what it would be like

If we gave ourselves away

Told your jealous man just we would have done

If we had not thought of him and let our passion run

We wouldn’t like awake at night and dream another end

 

You told me you were gonna cross the world

And join me over here

My body burned with excitement and fear

That’s exactly what I’d dreamed

It’s what I’d hoped you’d do

Without a word or letter somehow I always knew

But the birth of a baby kept you home

And the love of a country kept me home

 

So our love becomes a history

I wonder how many years I’ll think of you

Treasured memories of just that one night

The place was fine but the time was just not right

 

It’s late on a winter’s night

I’m playin’ alone at home

I wonder if I’ll ever play this song for you

Be your tambourine man baby

And play this song for you

 

© M Coghlan 1989


Commentary 

Written sitting on the floor in front of a fire back In Adelaide. Joti asleep, feeling alone, and mind drifting back to one beautiful night in Amsterdam.

 

No comments:

Blackbird

  Blackbird Holden St Theatres Wed 4 April 2024 A conversation with someone who sexually abused you when you were 12 years old is never ...