Saturday, September 18, 2021

Song #47 Adelaide Born


 

ADELAIDE BORN (listen)

 

  Adelaide born, 1954
  Born in the suburbs
  And what the hell for?
  To live for my fellow man,
  Or to grow grey, old and wise?
 

  Adelaide born, 1954
  No longer wonder
  What I'm here for
  'Cos six years ago
  I had my eyes opened by a child.
 

  My dad was a cop
  Out on the west coast
  So I got to travel
  Younger than most
  And that is a habit I find hard to break
  To this day
 

  I spent my youth
  In a fishing town
  In a place called Lincoln
  Where the tuna come in, and people win medals
  And cash in on big crops
  Of herb
 

  Now when people ask
  Why do you stay?
  Go out and see some other way
  Where people live on the edge,
  And cash in on seamier lives.
 

  But I've been gone
  For many a long stretch,
  And I'm back again
  To enjoy the balm
  Of this lovely piece of land
  Out on the plains by the sea
 

  And there are many right here
  Who've been away
  And have felt the load
  Of a harder road
  Where cities are bigger,
  And skies are much bleaker
  And so what?
 

  I'm Adelaide born, 1954
  And I'll be gone -
  There's nothing more sure.
  I don't want to hide away.
  I want to know if my dream's real.
  I don't want to hide away.
  I want to know if my dream's real.


(Copyright Michael Coghlan, 1989)


Commentary

I had grown up singing countless songs about American towns and cities. I have always envied American songwriters for singing about their own places and this was my first attempt to do something similar for my own hometown :)

This song earned another mention on this blog back in May. For a touch of video of a young man.

No comments:

Blackbird

  Blackbird Holden St Theatres Wed 4 April 2024 A conversation with someone who sexually abused you when you were 12 years old is never ...